Saturday, June 30, 2012

Lazy Month and Rant

June has been both a lazy and exponentially busy month. I've been a slacker blogger. Big D had a lot of baseball stuff going on on top of regular life.

My heart rate is still a little wonky at times. I got really mad a few days ago. Someone in a facebook "support" group gave me a hard time the other day about weaning. She actually called it "silly" to wean to go on beta blockers and said "it's sad if you wean for that" and "I have over 70 months of nursing on beta blockers" and that she takes atenolol while nursing (that's what I think I'll be starting but I didn't say that). And kept going on and on and ON about how I shouldn't believe my doctors (multiple told me NOT to nurse on beta blockers because it was harmful to babies) and should have done research myself and that it is absolutely possible to nurse while on meds. A friend of mine is currently on atenolol too, in a totally different state and HER doctors told her to not breastfeed or become pregnant and if she did to come to them to get off of it, so not just MY doctors.

I'm fairly proud of my self. I was PISSED but I held my tongue. The worst I said was not to ASSume she new anything about me and that I am the LAST person to wean because of convenience to ME and that I'd agonized over having to wean blah blah blah (I've been over it before). I've looked up drug info and they say basically do not take while pregnant or nursing. But I decided to go a step further and try to either find info that will either allow me to continue nursing or reassure me that weaning is the right thing to do. And guess what, I will be SADLY weaning.

It still breaks my heart having to wean but I am not risking her health. I'd rather sacrifice mine than risk hers. The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) say it IS possible to breastfeed while on beta blockers especially mature milk (as in, not the first little bit), HOWEVER atenolol, there are risks to the baby. Sorry, I'd like to nurse another year but I can not go another year bed ridden. My kids and my husband need me at least somewhat functional (more than now though I've been spending a little time up sitting outside in the shade or as the sun is low in addition to my normal activity (which isn't too much but still)).

Here is what the AAP say in regards to nursing and taking beta blockers:
CARDIOVASCULAR
Diuretics and beta blockers, commonly preferred antihypertensives, are safe for use in lactating women, with some precautions. In general, it is preferable to avoid high dosages of any one medication by either changing medications or adding an additional agent.

Low dosages of thiazide diuretics (e.g., 25 mg per day or less of hydrochlorothiazide [Esidrix]) are excreted in small amounts into the breast milk but do not suppress lactation and, consequently, are compatible with nursing. Beta blockers vary widely in the amount excreted into breast milk. Propranolol (Inderal), metoprolol (Lopressor) and labetalol (Normodyne) are excreted in small quantities and are compatible with breastfeeding even in compromised infants.

HOWEVER (this is where the NO comes in):
Atenolol (Tenormin), nadolol (Corgard) and sotalol (Betapace) are excreted in higher amounts, which can lead to hypotension, bradycardia and tachypnea in the infant.

Atenolol is on the "use with caution" list. Sorry, I'm a die hard breastfeeding fanatic. I'm one of those crazies (in some peoples opinions) who breastfeeds toddlers, during pregnancy, 2 at once, in public, on demand etc. But I am NOT comfortable with even a small chance or causing my daughter health problems. In the end, as much as it pains me, it is absolutely the RIGHT decision to wean. She already has issues getting over illnesses and has been sick a lot this year. So no, I will not contribute to that. She eats regular food and baby food and drinks regular drinks. I've nursed far longer than most Americans (and would longer). That woman can pound sand.

I am still sad that my nursing time is coming to an end, I'll miss it, and I am sad that it is less than the amount of time I nursed the older two but I feel as if it is the best choice for EVERYONE. I'm very sad about it, but ultimately, it's what is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment